This is a really simple variation on banana pudding that we use for an occasional breakfast treat. It is a great way to use up any dodgy bananas that are past their prime. For example, as bananas start to blacken, you can peel them, cut them into chunks and freeze them. You can use up the frozen chunks in this recipe.
- Vitamix blender, Pyrex bakeware
- 3-5 ripe bananas (if using frozen, set them out on a counter for 10 minutes)
- 6 large eggs
- 2T butter plus 2t reserved
- 2t ground cinnamon
- 1/2t ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350
- Toss the bananas, eggs, spices and butter in a blender. Blend until smooth
- Pour into greased 9×9 pyrex dish (if doubling, move to large sized dish)
- Bake at 350 until set firm (20-30 minutes depending on the size of eggs, bananas). Test using a cake tester or toothpick- should be clean when removed from center of dish.
- Optional: once set, brush melted butter on top and broil 3-5 minutes to create a delicious crust
- Allow to cool 3 minutes. Cut and serve.
- A splash of vanilla is good!
- Add 1/2 C homemade yogurt to the batter for more of a custard-like consistency
This recipe works great for breakfast or dessert!